Luxury Train, Rovos Rail has earned an international reputation for its truly world-class travel experiences. Step aboard the wood-panelled coaches – classics remodelled and refurbished to mint condition – and enjoy fine cuisine in five-star luxury as some of the most varied scenery imaginable unfolds beyond the windows. Recapture the romance and atmosphere of a bygone era when privileged travellers experienced the magic and mystery of Africa in a relaxed and elegant fashion.
In a series of train journeys lasting from 48 hours to a month, the Pride of Africa links some of Africa’s greatest destinations from Cape Town at the tip of Africa to Dar es Salaam in Tanzania, from scenic splendours as diverse as the game reserves of Mpumalanga to the Victoria Falls, from the desert landscapes in Namibia and the stark beauty of the Karoo to the lush cane fields of KwaZulu-Natal and the magnificent Garden Route along the Cape south coast.
The trains – which may be hauled by steam, diesel or electric locomotives at various stages of the journey – carry a maximum of 72 passengers in 36 superbly appointed suites. Pride of place in the Rovos stable goes to the historic and restored station and locomotive yard, which is the heart and headquarters of this private railway company.CAPE TOWN JOURNEY
DISCOVER INFINITE VARIETY FROM THE MOUNTAINS, BUSHVELD AND GRASSLAND PLAINS TO THE BUSTLING, URBAN HEART OF SOUTH AFRICA’S CITIES.
PRETORIA – CAPE TOWN
- 15h00 Depart from Rovos Rail Station, Pretoria.
- 09h45 – Arrive in Kimberley. Passengers visit the Big Hole and the Diamond Museum.
- 12h30 – Depart Kimberley and proceed overnight via De Aar and Beaufort West for
- 08h15 – Visit the historic village of Matjiesfontein.
- 10h30 – Depart Matjiesfontein and proceed via Touws River, De Doorns and Worcester to
- 18h00 – Arrive Cape Town Station, Platform 24.
CAPE TOWN – PRETORIA
- 11h00 Depart from Platform 23 at Cape Town Station and proceed inland to Worcester.
- 18h00 Guests visit the quaint historic village of Matjiesfontein.
- 14h30 – Upon arrival in Kimberley board the bus for a tour of the Big Hole and the Diamond
- 16h30 – Depart Kimberley.
- 12h00 – Arrive at Rovos Rail Station in Pretoria.
An optional link to Victoria Falls is available when travelling from Cape Town to Pretoria and vice versa.
RELIVE THE ROMANCE OF A BYGONE AFRICA ON A NOSTALGIC EXPEDITION TO ONE OF THE SEVEN NATURAL WONDERS OF THE WORLD.
PRETORIA – VICTORIA FALLS
- 09h30 – Depart from Rovos Rail Station, Pretoria.
- 13h00 – Lunch is served in the dining car/s en route to Zeerust.
- 19h30 – After traversing the Magaliesberg Range, dinner is served as the train heads towards Mafikeng for border formalities.
- 07h00 – Breakfast is served in the dining car/s.
- 13h00 – Lunch is served in the dining car/s as the train heads for the Zimbabwe border.
- 17h00 Border formalities at Plumtree.
- 19h30 Dinner is served in the dining car/s.
- 07h00 – Breakfast is served in the dining car/s.
- 13h00 – Lunch is served in the dining car/s.
- 17h00 – Arrive at the Victoria Falls where the Rovos Rail journey ends.
This journey is available in reverse departing Victoria Falls 10h00 on Sunday, arriving Pretoria 17h00 Tuesday. An optional link to Cape Town is available when travelling from Victoria Falls to Pretoria and vice versa.
AN UNFORGETTABLE TRAIN JOURNEY INTO THE HEART OF THE AFRICAN BUSHVELD.
PRETORIA – DURBAN
- 10h00 – Depart from Rovos Rail Station, Pretoria.
- 13h00 – Lunch is served in the dining car/s.
- 19h30 – Dinner is served en route to Elandslaagte near Ladysmith.
- 06h00 – Wake-up call for an early morning game drive in the Nambiti Private Game Reserve.
- 11h00 – Brunch is served in the dining car/s.
- 14h00 – Disembark for a choice of excursions:
Option 1 – Game drive in Spionkop Game Reserve.
Option 2 – Spionkop battlefields escorted tour.
- 18h30 – Return to the train.
- 19h30 – Dinner is served en route to Estcourt.
- 07h00 – Breakfast is served as the train descends the escarpment en route to Lions River Station.
- 10h00 – Visit to the famous Ardmore Ceramics gallery including an equestrian display (show events permitting) and tea.
- 12h00 – The train departs for Pietermaritzburg.
- 13h00 – Lunch is served as the train traverses the spectacular Valley of a Thousand Hills.
- 16h00 Arrive in Durban.
This journey is available in reverse departing Durban 10h00 on Monday, arriving Pretoria 16h00 Wednesday. An optional link to Victoria Falls is available when travelling from Durban to Pretoria.
A SELECTION OF THE FINEST COURSES IN SOUTH AFRICA ARE BROUGHT TOGETHER IN A KALEIDOSCOPE OF GOLF AND SCENIC BEAUTY.
Rovos Rail has designed a delightful nine-day Golf Safari to entertain the most discerning player with optional excursions for non-playing guests at all venues.
- This journey begins in Pretoria and travels east towards Nelspruit.
- Play at Leopard Creek or visit the world-famous Kruger Park for a game drive followed by lunch.
- Then tee off at the Royal Swazi Golf Club in Swaziland or visit Ngwenya Glass with an afternoon game drive in Mkhaya Game Reserve.
- Next it is on to Zululand for game viewing in the Hluhluwe Game Reserve and overnight in Durban.
- Play one of South Africa’s finest courses, the Durban Beachwood Club, while non-playing guests enjoy a city tour of Durban followed by lunch at the Golf Club.
- In the foothills of the imposing Drakensberg Mountains, 18 holes await at the Champagne Sports Resort with a guided tour of the Battlefields a further highlight for our non-golfers.
- Relax as the train travels north to Sun City for a full day at this renowned facility before departing for Pretoria where this memorable journey ends.
- A second golf itinerary has been designed in conjunction with our African Collage. Golf courses during the nine-day journey include Leopard Creek, Royal Swazi, Durban Country Club, Bloemfontein Golf Club, Humewood in Port Elizabeth, Fancourt or Ernie Els Oubaai in George. Combine these famous courses with the finest scenery Southern Africa has to offer.
ROVOS RAIL’S TRANS-AFRICAN SAFARI CARRIES AN EXCLUSIVE BAND OF INTREPID TRAVELLERS.
CAPE TOWN – DAR ES SALAAM.
- 11h00 – Depart Cape Town Station.
- 18h00 – Arrive Matjiesfontein and explore the quaint village. Dinner and overnight on the train.
- 14h30 – Upon arrival in Kimberley board the buses for a tour of the Big Hole and Diamond Museum.
- 11h30 – Arrive Pretoria for lunch and city tour.
- 11h00 – Arrive Zeerust for a full-board overnight stay at a five-star game lodge.
- After breakfast, guest activities. Lunch, dinner and overnight at the lodge.
- 06h00 – Early morning game drive.
- 12h00 – Depart Gaborone. Lunch, dinner and overnight on the train.
- 06h00 – Arrive Plumtree for border formalities. Breakfast, lunch, dinner and overnight on the train. Lecture 1 and 2.
- 11h00 – Arrive Victoria Falls and transfer to the hotel. Sunset cruise on the Zambezi River, followed by dinner and overnight at the hotel.
- Day at leisure (own arrangements): tour the Falls, play a game of golf, take the Flight of the
- Angels or go river rafting, and so on.
- 15h00 – Depart Victoria Falls.
- 13h30 – Pass through Lusaka. Breakfast, lunch and dinner on board. Lecture 3 and 4.
- 08h00 – Arrive Kasame for a bush walk at Chisimba Falls.
- 14h00 – Arrive Tunduma for Tanzanian border control. Breakfast, lunch, dinner and overnight on the train. Lecture 5 and 6.
- 10h00 – Arrive Makambako. Breakfast, lunch and dinner on board. Lecture 7 and 8.
- 10h00 – Arrive Tazara Station, Dar Es Salaam.
Journey available in reverse from Dar Es Salaam to Cape Town. Itineraries on request. Pre- and post-tours as well as detailed north- and southbound itineraries are available.
A RICH TAPESTRY OF LANDSCAPE, GAME, HISTORY AND CULTURE INCLUDING THE WINELANDS OF THE GARDEN ROUTE AND CAPE TOWN.
PRETORIA – CAPE TOWN
- 10h00 – Depart Rovos Rail Station, Pretoria.
- 05h00 – Wake-up call for a game drive in the Kruger Park.
- 15h30 – Arrive Mkhaya Game Reserve, Swaziland, for an afternoon game drive.
- 06h00 – Game drive in the Hluhluwe Game Reserve, Zululand.
- 18h00 – Arrive Durban for overnight in the city.
- 06h00 – Depart Durban en route to Kroonstad.
- 10h00 – Disembark the train for a visit to the famous Ardmore Ceramics Gallery.
- 12h30 – Return to the train for lunch and depart for an overnight stop in Kroonstad.
- 10h00 – Enjoy a tour of Bloemfontein.
- 13h00 – Depart for Port Elizabeth.
- 09h00 – Tour of Addo Elephant Park near Port Elizabeth.
- 12h45 – Return for departure to Oudtshoorn.
- 10h00 – Arrive at Oudtshoorn for Ostrich Farm visit.
- 12h00 – The train departs for George. Afternoon at leisure.
- 18h00 – Disembark for dinner at Fancourt Estate.
- 09h00 – Disembark for morning tour of Knysna.
- 13h30 – Depart for George.
- 11h00 – Arrive in Worcester for a KWV Brandy Distillery tour. Depart for a 17h00 arrival at Platform 23, Cape Town Station.
AN EPIC JOURNEY OF DISCOVERY REUNITING BY RAIL THE REPUBLICS OF SOUTH AFRICA AND NAMIBIA.
PRETORIA – SWAKOPMUND
- 15h00 – Depart from Rovos Rail Station, Pretoria.
- 10h00 – Arrive in Kimberley for a tour of the Big Hole and Diamond Museum.
- 12h45 – Depart Kimberley.
- 08h00 – Arrive in Upington for a walking tour.
- 23h00 – Arrive in Holoog Siding.
- 08h00 – Visit to the Fish River Canyon.
- 11h00 – Arrive Keetmanshoop for walking tour.
- 17h00 – The train departs for Windhoek.
- 09h00 – Arrive in Windhoek for a city tour.
- 11h00 – Depart Windhoek in light aircraft for a 1-hour scenic flight to Sossusvlei. Lunch, desert drive, bush dinner and overnight.
- 06h00 – Excursion with breakfast in Sossusvlei.
- 12h00 – Depart for 1-hour flight to Windhoek.
- 14h00 – Train departs Windhoek.
- 10h40 – Arrive in Tsumeb. Transfer to Mokuti Lodge in Etosha National Park. Lunch, game drive and overnight.
- 06h00 – Early morning game drive in Etosha.
- 13h00 – Depart Tsumeb.
- 11h00 – Arrive in Swakopmund.
Journey available in reverse from Swakopmund to Pretoria.
TOUR SOUTHERN AFRICA IN A MAGNIFICENT CLASSIC AIRCRAFT.
SOUTHERN AFRICA AIR CHARTER
- 12h00 – Guests meet at Rovos Rail Station in Pretoria for introduction and a short tour of railway depot.
- 14h00 – After lunch transfer to Wonderboom Airport. Board aircraft for 1-hour flight to lodge.
- 15h30 – Transfer to Phinda Private Game Reserve with an afternoon game drive. Overnight at lodge.
- 06h00 – Early morning and late afternoon game drives. Overnight at lodge.
- 11h00 – Transfer to airport for 3-hour flight to Plettenberg Bay for a 2-night stay at Hunter Country House.
- 09h00 – Scenic drive and tour of Tsitsikamma National Park and Storms River. Return to Hunters after lunch to freshen up and change for a sundowner lagoon cruise in Knysna. Dinner on the boat.
- 09h00 – Depart for Cape Town. Arrive Cape Grace Hotel at the Victoria & Alfred Waterfront. Tour of city and Table Mountain Cableway (weather permitting). Dinner at the hotel.
- 09h00 – After breakfast, depart for a guided tour of Cape Peninsula/Winelands/Robben Island.
- 13h00 – Lunch in Constantia Valley. Late afternoon and hotel dinner at leisure.
- 08h00 – After breakfast transfer to the airport for the flight to Lüderitz in Namibia.
- 11h00 – Arrive in Lüderitz and after a tour and lunch take a short drive to visit the mining ghost town of Kolmanskop.
- 15h00 – Depart Lüderitz for the scenic flight over Sossusvlei to Wolwedans. Transfer to Dunes Lodge.
- 08h00 – After breakfast, depart for scenic drive in desert or nature walk. Hot-air ballooning is available at an extra cost.
- 16h00 – Enjoy sundowners in the desert followed by dinner.
- 08h00 – Transfer to airport for 3-hour flight via Skeleton Coast to Maun in Botswana.
- 12h00 – Fly in light aircraft to various camps in the Okavango Delta. Guest activities: guided walk, game drive or mokoro (canoe) trip with late afternoon wilderness experience. Overnight at the camp.
- Guest activities: guided walk, game drive or mokoro (canoe) trip. After brunch there is time for a siesta before the late afternoon outing. Overnight at the camp.
- 10h30 – Light aircraft transfer to Maun. Depart Maun for 1-hour flight to Livingstone in Zambia.
- 13h00 – Transfer to the Royal Livingstone Hotel at the Victoria Falls.
- 16h00 – Sunset cruise on the Zambezi River. Dinner and overnight at hotel.
- Day at leisure. Farewell dinner and overnight at hotel.
- 08h00 – Transfer to Livingstone airport for 3-hour flight to Lanseria Airport in Johannesburg.
CAPE TO CAIRO
NOW THESE TWO HISTORICALLY LINKED AFRICAN CITIES ARE JOINED TOGETHER BY ROVOS RAIL’STRANS-AFRICAN SAFARI.
DAY 1 – Arrive Cape Town.
DAY 2 – Tours Cape Town.
DAY 3 – Tours Cape Town.
DAY 4 – Train departs Cape Town. Matjiesfontein excursion.
DAY 5 – Kimberley tour.
DAY 6 – Pretoria city tour. Overnight Pretoria.
DAY 7 – Board Rovos Rail. Overnight train.
DAY 8 – Breakfast, lunch, dinner and overnight on train.
DAY 9 – Arrive Victoria Falls. Overnight hotel.
DAY 10 – Victoria Falls activities.
DAY 11 – Fly Victoria Falls to Zanzibar. Stone Town tour.
DAY 12 – Island spice tour. Overnight Zanzibar.
DAY 13 – Fly Zanzibar to Kilimanjaro to Ngorongoro.
DAY 14 – Game drive and picnic lunch on floor of crater.
DAY 15 – Transfer to Masek tented camp in Serengeti.
DAY 16 – Game drives morning and afternoon.
DAY 17 – Fly Serengeti to Kilimanjaro to Entebbe, Uganda.Chimpanzee or source of the Nile excursions
DAY 18 – Chimpanzee or source of the Nile excursion.
DAY 19 – Fly Entebbe to Khartoum, Sudan.
DAY 20 – Full- or half-day tours, Khartoum.
DAY 21- Fly to Abu Simbel, Egypt. Lake Nasser cruise.
DAY 22 – Lake Nasser cruise. Antiquities tours.
DAY 23 – Lake Nasser cruise. Antiquities tours.
DAY 24 – Road transfer to Luxor. Antiquities tours. Overnight Luxor.
DAY 25 – Antiquities tours. Overnight Luxor.
DAY 26 – Fly to Cairo. Tours Cairo.
DAY 27 – Tours Cairo.
DAY 28 – 28 day tour ends.
CAIRO TO CAPE
DAY 1- Arrive Cairo Airport.
DAY 2 – Tours Cairo.
DAY 3 – Morning tours Cairo. Fly to Luxor.
DAY 4 – Tours Luxor.
DAY 5 – Road transfer to Aswan. Lake Nasser cruise.
DAY 6 – Lake Nasser cruise. Antiquities tours.
DAY 7 – Lake Nasser cruise. Antiquities tours.
DAY 8 – Morning antiquities tours. Fly Abu Simbel to Khartoum, Sudan.
DAY 9 – Full- or half-day tours, Khartoum.
DAY 10 – Fly to Entebbe, Uganda. Chimpanzee or source of the Nile excursions.
DAY 11 – Chimpanzee or source of the Nile excursions.
DAY 12 – Fly to to Kilimanjaro, Tanzania. Road transfer to Ngorongoro.
DAY 13 – Game drive and picnic lunch on crater floor.
DAY 14 – Transfer to Masek tented camp, Serengeti.
DAY 15 – Game drives morning and afternoon.
DAY 16 – Fly Serengeti to Kilimanjaro to Zanzibar. Stone Town tour.
DAY 17 – Island Spice tour.
DAY 18 – Fly Zanzibar to Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe.
DAY 19 – Victoria Falls activities.
DAY 20 – Board Rovos Rail. Overnight train.
DAY 21 – Breakfast, lunch, dinner, overnight on train.
DAY 22 – Arrive Pretoria. Transfer to hotel. Dinner and overnight.
DAY 23 – City and Rovos Rail Station tours. Depart for Cape Town.
DAY 24 – Kimberley tour.
DAY 25 – Matjiesfontein excursion. Train arrives Cape Town. Overnight hotel.
DAY 26 – Cape Town Tours.
DAY 27 – Cape Town Tours.
DAY 28 – 28-day tour ends.
Bookings|Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Mobile:+27 76 629 2638 |Twitter:@ambienz_