Morukuru Ocean House is situated in one of Africa’s most beautiful coastal reserves: the 36 000-ha De Hoop Nature Reserve. De Hoop offers 51km of pristine white beaches and dunes lapped by a warm Indian Ocean, limestone cliffs, rock pools, wetlands, coastal fynbos and home to more than 260 species of birds. Ocean House also offers a bird’s eye view of the continent’s greatest whale nursery, as Southern Right whales migrate to the shallow coastal basins off the Overberg Coast for the calving and nursing season from mid-July to November.
In short, Morukuru Ocean House offers access to some of the continent’s most undiscovered gems, able to satisfy visitors craving exclusivity, yet providing some of the most productive wildlife interactions in Southern Africa.
Morukuru Ocean House is booked on exclusive use basis and is inclusive of all meals, drinks, activities, private vehicle, private guide, private chef, butler and general staff. Annual closure of Morukuru Ocean House: 16 May – 1 July 2016Accommodation & Facilities
- Morukuru Ocean House can accommodate 8 adults & 4 small children (all ages are welcome!)
- The 4 double suites all have their own en suite bathrooms with beautiful glass doors overlooking the ocean
- The special children’s bedroom does offer television and board games, but no bathroom.
- The interior design is inspired by the wonderful fynbos dunes and is of the highest quality
- Morukuru Ocean House includes all the same features as those you will find at our other private houses situated within the Madikwe Game Reserve: amazing views, top service, a wide range of activities and 100% privacy
- The Ocean House is booked under the famous Morukuru Freedom Concept: no schedules!
- Your private pool, delicious food, lovely drinks served by your personal butler, your own private kitchen with chef, open plan lounge areas, dining areas, garden with amazing views, romantic fireplaces & lots more
- Ocean House runs on sustainable green energy and conventional electricity use is limited
De Hoop Nature Reserve is reckoned to be the ultimate place in South Africa to see southern right whales. July to end of September is best for whale-watching, but you stand a very good chance of a sighting from June to early November.
Rare or endangered animal species in the reserve include the Marine Big 5 as well as the Bontebok and Cape Mountain Zebra. Other animals you may see are Eland, the Cape clawless otter, baboons, rock dassies and the occasional rooikat (caracal) and Cape leopard.
The reserve is particularly known for its bird population, many of which – such as the endangered African Black Oystercatcher – breed within the reserve. The flora and fauna are impressive too – the fynbos floral kingdom dominates with 1500 species of plants in the reserve alone – also 86 species of mammal, 260 or more different birds, 14 amphibian and 50 reptile species.
A typical Mediterranean climate prevails in the region; summers are warm and winters mild. The annual rainfall is about 380 mm and August is usually the wettest month. Sea mists also occur. The most frequent summer winds are east, west and southeast, while westerly and south-westerly winds prevail in winter.
De Hoop Nature Reserve is malaria free. No malaria medication is necessary for your stay at Morukuru Ocean House but they do advise the use of insect repellent during your stay.
Their chefs are meticulously trained and can provide a wide array of catering options from traditional, formal and nouvelle cuisine to utterly relaxed and casual snacks on demand and everything in between. Guests are able to personally select wines from the wine cellar to accompany and complement their meals.
They encourage all their guests to complete their Wish List. Morukuru Ocean House arranges special deliveries for all guests according to their personal wishes noted on their Wish List. Your wish is their command
A stay at the Morukuru Ocean House is all about RECONNECTING. Family, Friends, Nature & You.
You will be enjoying the Morukuru Freedom Concept: No schedules. No sharing with other guests and doing whatever you want, whenever you want. During your stay you can choose to enjoy any of the following complimentary activities, completely tailored to your requirements:
- Guided marine walks (1-3 hours), allowing you an insight in the amazing marine life in the rock pools in the immediate vicinity of Ocean House. Great for kids as well as the parents!
- Various guided fynbos walks and hikes (1-3 hours), showing the incredible diversity and beauty of the fynbos vegetation that is found in De Hoop Nature Reserve.
- Guided Mountain biking (1-3 hours), offering you an overview of the diversity of the area around Ocean House. Different routes are possible.
- Guided 4×4 fynbos nature drives, which allow you to explore areas of De Hoop Nature Reserve which are situated a little further from Ocean House. These nature drives also offer a good opportunity to see some of the local wildlife in the park.
- Land based whale watching from the house and the surrounding dunes (June-October)
- Sundowners on the sand dunes, overlooking the Indian Ocean with possibly a glimpse of a pod of dolphins
- Sand boarding on the white sand dunes
- Various beach games like volleyball, cricket and croquet
- Snorkelling in the rock pools (Morukuru Ocean House has masks, snorkels and fins for all sizes!)
- Kids activities like kite making and flying them
- Star gazing, using the telescope at Ocean House
- Tennis (at De Opstal, approximately 30 minutes from Morukuru Ocean House)
- All activities can be combined with a tasteful picnic lunch
- And if you just feel like relaxing, we can offer a nice picnic down on the beach where you can spend a few hours lazing around, swimming and enjoying the views.
Besides all the activities mentioned above, you can also select some other exciting optional activities at Morukuru Ocean House, however these are not included in the rate:
- Spa treatments
- Visit to Cape Agulhas (Africa’s southernmost tip) combined with a private boat excursion from Struisbaai
- Visit to a local community and school just outside De Hoop Nature Reserve
- Whale watching by helicopter and scenic flights by helicopter
Morukuru Ocean House is very child friendly, they welcome children of all ages. They have based their whole ethos around hosting families or groups of close friends. Their junior guests are allowed on nature drives throughout the De Hoop Nature Reserve and are able to enjoy every magical aspect with their parents. Kids receive a Morukuru Family shell bag which they can use to store their collected shells in for the duration of their stay. They offer the service of a Nanny for those parents that wish to have a little time to themselves allowing them to relax knowing their children are being cared for. Children are kept busy with baking, kiddie-adventures, swimming and much more.
Follow us on your favourite social media platforms: Instagram | Twitter | Google + | Face Book | Linkedin and stay in touch with our special offers, new properties addition and useful information about our destinations.