Ulusaba Private Game Reserve is the ultimate safari destination, located in the western sector of the Sabi Sand Reserve which borders Kruger National Park in the Mpumalanga province of South Africa. The hills of Ulusaba are spectacular as they rise above the surrounding terrain, offering a view unsurpassed anywhere else in the reserve.
Rock Lodge / Cliff Lodge
You’re on top of the world at Rock Lodge! Survey miles of game-rich bush as you stand eight hundred feet above the wilderness. Here the view is king and there are endless opportunities to spot the roaming wildlife, all set against a backdrop of the Drakensberg Mountains far in the distance. The view inside is just as spectacular and the granite rock of the koppie is a key feature of the main house’s design and each room has a different design reflecting African tribal influences and style.
Safari Lodge fits snugly into the bush located beneath a canopy of ancient trees on the edge of a dry riverbed. You’ll love the sense of adventure as you access some of the rooms by swing bridges. Your room will provide fascinating views of the animals as they stroll past on their way to the nearby watering hole.A Typical Day
A little taster as to what you can expect on a typical day at Ulusaba! You can do as little or as much as you like, it’s completely up to you!
- 5AM: Rise and shine! The early morning game drive sets off at 5.30AM, but before you depart we have early morning teas, coffees and refreshments served on the main terrace.
- 30AM: You will depart on the morning game drive in an open 4 x 4 safari vehicle, stopping forrefreshments in the heart of the South African bush.
- 9AM: Breakfast time! Retreat back to the lodge for breakfast with your Ranger.
- 10AM: It wouldn’t be a holiday if you didn’t have a bit of R&R! They recommend any of their spa treatments in the Aroma Boma spa (available at an additional charge). For those seeking more adventure you can get up close and personal with the animals during their walking safari (don’t worry an armed Ranger and Tracker will be with you at all times!)
- 30PM: It’s lunch time! Lunch is served often on one of the sundecks.
- 4PM: Before heading off on the evening game drive they will tempt you with their afternoon tea served on the patio.
- 30PM: Game on! It’s time to depart for the evening game drive. Search for those elusive nocturnal animals after sundowner drinks served in the bush. Next it’s onto their Bush observatory where their game ranger will give you the chance for some stargazing in the South African bush.
- 8PM: Dinner is served! They serve dinner at the Lodge or in the heart of the bush, under the African skies around a blazing log fire. Enjoy the tribal dancers and singers for a truly authentic African experience.
Their internationally renowned chefs have developed numerous pan-African dishes influenced by many African cultures, flavours and spices. Their recipes are constantly refreshed and consist of seasonal, local ingredients. Whether dining under the African sky, in the Boma, on a deck or in the dining room, their menus and meals promise to be exciting, social and inspirational. All their breads and pastries are home baked daily and they also cater for private meals and special occasions.
Safari Lodge Wine Cellar
Wine lovers won’t go thirsty with their well-stocked wine cellar at Safari Lodge. If you prefer hearty reds they won’t delay your enjoyment by showcasing there best rosés, and likewise if you can’t wait to sip a refreshing glass of chilled white they won’t hold you back. South Africa has an excellent reputation for wine worldwide and naturally they’re keen to showcase some of the best local vintages on offer. The wines speak for themselves, and thy want you to feel at home, so they don’t have a lengthy wine list full of ‘winespeak’.
Of course, if you’d like a more intimate experience, they’d be delighted to organise private dining for you either on a secluded deck or at a location of your choice. Be sure to win some brownie points by organising this before arrival and they’ll make sure they ramp up the romance.
Cubs Club Meals
They have a great range of child-friendly meals. Your Cubs (that’s the children) can choose from a selection of tasty, well balanced, healthy and fun meals keeping both the parents and the Cubs happy!
Feeling peckish? Just buzz their team from your room and they’ll keep you feeling full with something tasty off their menu.
The Aroma Boma at Ulusaba is the perfect antidote to all the excitement of being out on the game drives. Book in for a relaxing treatment, from facial rituals to massage to essential grooming. The Aroma Boma at Rock Lodge is located 800 feet above the African Savannah with truly stunning views over the Bush and offers complete privacy.
At Safari Lodge, The Aroma Boma is built on the banks of the dry Mabrak riverbed amongst the trees and away from the main lodge area, so the only likely disturbance is perhaps the odd elephant wandering past! Ulusaba uses a range of products from Africology. Africology prides itself on its African roots, taking inspiration from home and using local active ingredients including Rooibos, Aloe, Marula and African Potato.
*Please note that spa treatments are available for anadditional charge.*
A cool backpack filled with educational safari goodies and a cap! Cubs have their very own amenities in the room, just like their folks do, and we will provide a fantastic range of kids’ products.
What can a cub get up to ?
Because Rock Lodge is intimate, they do not operate a set programme, rather a range of great activities for your cubs to choose from.
- A welcome treasure hunt to help Cubs familiarise themselves with their surroundings
- Your Cubs will explore their Arts and Crafts ability with coloured sand art and an afternoon of rock painting
- A great range of new and classic children’s DVDs, CDs and a Nintendo Wii to keep your Cubs busy
- Cubs are able to enjoy the swimming pool with an experienced swimmer to supervise afternoon pool activities followed by ice-cream to re-energise
- A wide variety of educational board games, puzzles and ‘Big 5’ playing cards, all with a safari theme.
- Traditional South African kids’ games which they can teach their friends when they get home
- A mini Ranger’s course where your Cub’s Ranger will teach them about the African bush and how to track and identify animal footprints and dung droppings
- All Cubs will be invited to join the Pen Pal Club
- Safari walks around Rock Lodge to spot birds, insects, lizards and anything else your Cub may find
- Bedtime story-telling complete with milk and cookies, or whatever normally helps get your Cub ready for bed!
- Allow your Cub to become a safari master chef with a morning of creating and cooking homemade pizzas for lunch and cupcakes for guests to enjoy at tea
- Cubs and their folks are encouraged to visit the community so kids can learn about giving back and to see how different the lifestyles are in the community
- The Ulusaba Cub’s spa treatments will ensure that your Cub is able to unwind after a busy day with a variety of specially designed treatments for children
- And many more fun activities…
What else to is there?
A babysitting service is available at no extra charge, however please be aware that off-duty staff who have plenty of experience with children are used for this. Due to our location we do not have professional child carers available, but with advance notice this could be arranged at an extra cost. Ulusaba has security guards on duty all night that will pay particular attention to rooms occupied by Cubs.
Anything else I should know?
Children of all ages are very welcome at Rock Lodge however they unfortunately don’t allow Cubs under the age of 12 to stay at Safari Lodge for safety reasons. As long as your Cub is aged 6 or over he or she is more than welcome on the safari game vehicles.
- Your accommodation at one of their beautiful lodges
- All meals served in a variety of locations around the lodges
- All beverages including a top quality wine list and fine champagne
- Twice daily game drives
- A daily walking safari (subject to favourable weather conditions)
- A fully equipped gymnasium situated at Rock, Cliff and Safari Lodges
- Lounges at each lodge equipped with DVDs, CDs and a small library
- Laundry service (no dry cleaning available)
- Business facilities (details available on request)
- Complimentary wireless available in all guest rooms and public areas
- An observatory, perfect for star gazing
- Informative talks on flora, fauna and conservation that can be organised on request for both adults and children
- A wine cellar at Safari Lodge with an outdoor dining area for up to six guests
- Local telephone calls
- The contents of your mini bar
(not included in individual or exclusive use rates)
- Flights between Johannesburg and Ulusaba’s private airstrip
- Road and air transfers between other airports and lodges
- Aroma Boma beauty treatments at Rock Lodge and Safari Lodge (ask for rates)
- Wedding packages
- Scenic helicopter flights over the bush to view spectacular sights such as God’s Window and the Blyde River Canyon – the world’s 3rd deepest canyon
- Tours to the local community
- Private game drives (subject to availability)
- Photocopying, telephone, fax, e-mail facilities and gift shop purchases
Bookings|Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Mobile:+27 76 629 2638 |Twitter:@ambienz_